Hochschulstart (DoSV)

Here you can go to the portal of "Hochschulstart"

PRIMUSS-application portal THI

Here you can apply and check the progress of your application


Here you can go to the online-portal of uni-assist to apply for the VPD

Check university access uni-assist

Find out if you are qualified to study in Germany

Bachelor courses

Find out about all offered Bachelor courses

Bachelor application from Germany

Here you can find information for Bachelor applicants from Germany

Overview application process

In case the higher secondary school certificate was acquired outside of Germany a VPD from uni-assist is necessary.

To stay on top of things while handling the three different portals we recommend to use the

 Checklist for Bachelor application with Hochschulstart (pdf)

 For even more detailed information on the application process you can also take a look at the Step-by-Step guide for application (pdf)


FAQs regarding uni-assist

Who does not need recognition by uni-assist e.V.?
  • All applicants who acquired their university qualification in Germany or their Abitur certificate at a school with the German Abitur examination rules.
  • Applicants who completed a Studienkolleg programme in Germany and whose certificate indicates a total average (average of foreign proof of education and average of determination exam).
  • Graduates of the European schools in Germany (International Baccalaureate (IB): These applicants submit their certificates and a recognition of the certificate recognition office for the Free State of Bavaria with the calculated total grade and the "certificate on the calculation of the German average for the ZVS“.
  • Applicants with AbiBac: These applicants need to submit their certificate and the "certification on the acquisition of the general university qualification" to Ingolstadt University of Applied Sciences.
  • Graduates of the German schools in Greece: Submit your certificate on the supplementary exam as well as the Apolitirio.
Until when do I have to apply for the preliminary inspection documentation (Vorprüfungsdokumentation; VPD)?

We recommend to apply as early as possible. You can apply for the VPD at uni-assist before the application period at the University of Applied Sciences Ingolstadt starts. Please plan to have received your VPD until the end of the appliecation period of our university at the very latest.

Usually uni-assist needs 4 to 6 weeks to work on received requests (complete ones, including payment). Uni-assist informs on current processing times (dependant on region) on their page regarding deadlines and processing time.

Which documents do I need to submit to uni-assist?

You can find information on the necessary documents on the homepage of uni assist at application documents, as well as information on certification and, if necessary, translation.

Proof of language knowledge does NOT have to be sent to uni-assist.

The country of my previous education was PR China, India, Vietnam or Mongolia. Do I have to submit additional documents?

Yes, please follow the special rules for applicants from the PR China, India, Vietnam and Mongolia

Applicants from the PR China, India, Mongolia and Vietnam need to have their grade sheets and academic proof of performance reviewed and recognised by the Academic evaluation office (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in their home country. The original APS certificate has to be submitted to uni-assist e.V. Certified copies will not be accepted. Without the APS certificate or the APS confirmation in the original, the documents cannot be assessed! Please copy/scan your APS certificate for your documents.

Academic Evaluation Office Peking

Academic Evaluation Office Ulan Bator

Academic Evaluation Office Hanoi

Academic Evaluation Office New Dehli

How much does the audition at uni-assist e.V. cost?

When requesting the preliminary inspection documentation, you need to transfer the fees to uni-assist e.V. (table of charges uni-assist). The audit fee for certificates is 75 Euro at the moment. Any additional application at another university currently costs 30 Euro.

Please note that your application cannot be processed if you did not yet transfer the fee (payment options uni-assist). We recommend to submit a copy of the account statement or a transfer voucher with your documents.

I can't find the study course I want to apply for at uni-assist, what can I do?

Please search for our university on the page of uni-assist without specifying the study course you're interested in.
Then two possibilities will be provided: "Bachelor - all subjects" or "Master - all subjects"

Please select accordingly. The study course you're interested in can be choosen in the online-application-portal of our university.

Uni-assist e.V. sends me to "Studienkolleg", what do I have to do?

If the proof of education assessed by uni-assist e.V. does not meet the requirements, the recognition is made dependent on the passing of an additional exam. These additional exams are performed by the Studienkolleg for the universities of applied sciences of the free state of Bavaria in Coburg as determination exams (Feststellungsprüfung; FSP) for foreigners. For more information, please visit the Homepage of the Studienkolleg Coburg. Coburg is not the only option in Bavaria (Munich also), and it must not be inside Bavaria.

Studienkolleg usually takes one year. At the end graduates get a certificate, with this certificate they can apply for a Bachelor course.

Can I reuse my VPD?

Two conditions need to be fulfilled to be able to reuse the VPD:

  1. the VPD was issued after choosing a "Bachelor-check" for Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt
  2. the VPD is no older than one year


FAQs regarding Hochschulstart an the application in the portal of the THI

What is Hochschulstart/DoSV?

Admission of admission limited bachelor courses will be carried our by with the dialogue-oriented service procedure (in German: dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren, short: DoSV) of "Hochschulstart".

The procedure is called dialogue-oriented, because applicants actively take part the admission procedure after they submitted their application(s). Applicants for example have to accept an admission offer, or put study courses in an order of importance.

Applicants can apply at various universities in Germany, but all their data will be merged at Hochschulstart. This enables to bring together the wishes of applicants and selection procedures of the universities. Vacant places can be passed on to the next applicant immediately.

How do I have to apply?

A detailed description of the process with all the single steps and deadlines for applicants from abroad provides our Checklist for Bachelor application with Hochschulstart (pdf).

Where can I get information on the progress of my application?

Depending on the time in the procedure you can find the necessary information either in the PRIMUSS-portal of the THI or in the portal of Hochschulstart.

For a guide when to look where please download our Checklist for Bachelor application with Hochschulstart (pdf).

When can I expect admission, how do I get informed?

After the beginning of coordination phase offers of admission will be presented to applicants. When an offer of admission is transformed to actual admission, applicants will receive a notifications of admission through theapplication portal ot the THI within a few working days. The notification of admission will contain information how the enrolment procedure is processed.

Notices of refusal and notices of exclusion will be published end august/february thorugh Hochschulstart.

Further information can be found at admission and enrollment.

Which grade do I need to get a place in my favourite study course?

The minimum grade for admission is not fixed before the admission process (coordination phase) took part. You can have a look on the grades which where necessary for admission in the last years on our page regarding admission and enrollment.

I missed the application period, what can I do?

When you missed the application period you can not take part the regular admission process (coordination phase).

In case there are still vacancies at the end of the coordination phase and you did not get admission during the coordination phase you can sign up for the coordinated moving-up procedure at Hochschulstart.

Do I have to submit certified copies of my documents?

For your application at the THI and at Hochschulstart you do not have to submit certified copies of your documents.

It is absolutely sufficient to scan your documents (for example with a scan-app) and upload them in the application portal of the THI.

In case of admission you have to send certified hardcopies of all the documents named in the notice of admission to the THI to process enrollment. All necessary information will be available on your notice of admission.

But: The application process for getting the VPD from uni-assist requires sending certified documents.

Further FAQs

Which German skills do I have to prove?

Applicants from abroad who apply for a german-taught course have to submit proof of sufficient German skills, level B2.

Here you can find information on the proof of language skills.

Proof of the passed exam has to be submitted until enrollment at the latest. 

Proof of language knowledge has to be uploaded when applying online at the THI, you do NOT have to sent it to uni-assist.

Which English skills do I have to prove?

For English-taught Bachelor courses we strongly recommend at least English level B2 (p.ex. TOEFL or IELTS). Here you can find information on the proof of language skills

Is there an aptitude test for some of the bachelor's courses?

Yes, there is an aptitude test in the English-language bachelor's programme Autonomous Vehicle Engineering.

You can find more information about the aptitude test in the general information page for Bachelor applicants at "facts for specific applicants".

Are there residence halls for students in Ingolstadt?

Yes, there are residence halls in Ingolstadt, however places there are limited. Information on residence halls and provate housing can be found on our page accomodation.

Information for Refugees

You can find information on this at the following link:

FAQs Information for Refugees (thi.de)

International Office (thi.de)








What is going to happen after the end of the application process?

Information on what is going to happen after the end of the application process can be found on our page Admission and Enrollment.

Contact for application issues

E-Mail: application@thi.de

Info phone:

+49 (0) 841/9348-1370

Mo till Thur 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Fr 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.

during semester break:

Mo till Thur 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Fr 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Information and advice in person

Campus Ingolstadt

Mo - Thur 11 am - 1 pm

ServicePoint Studium, great hall, room A006
Differing opening hours (pdf)

Campus Neuburg

Tue 11 am - 1 pm

ServicePoint Studium, Building Z, room ZN001
Differing opening hours (pdf)


Postal address:
Postfach 21 04 54, 85019 Ingolstadt 

Visitor's adress:
Esplanade 10, 85049 Ingolstadt