The Car2X laboratory provides facilities for research related to ommunication among vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc.) and with the traffic infrastructure (traffic lights, intelligent road signs, etc.), taking other road users (pedestrians and cyclists) into consideration. The focus of the research is on the systematic testing of Car2X systems, protocols and applications as well as on the development and evaluation of new technologies and systems, in particular, communication support for vehicle automation.
Objectives and Ideas
In the Car2X laboratory, Car2X protocols and applications are developed, evaluated and tested, starting from the initial idea to an in-vehicle prototype implementation. For this purpose, the laboratory is equipped with a test vehicle that has various perception sensors for environmental perception. The lab also has various state-of-the-art development platforms for Car2X communication (including IEEE 802.11p/ITS-G5 and Cellular-V2X) for on-board units (OBUs) and roadside units (RSUs); Further equipment comprises a traffic light ccontroller and signal head and powerful IT hardware for simulations. Our team possesses know-how in the design and realisation of software for embedded systems as well as in simulation models in the area of Car2X. This includes ’Artery’ for simulating Car2X applications and our implementation of the ETSI ITS-G5 protocols ’Vanetza’.
- Cross-vehicle exchange of inertial data for exact localisation
- Research into test methods suitable for Car2X communication
- Conducting performance tests for Car2X systems (e.g. ETSI ITS-G5)
- Securing scalable and reliable vehicle communication
- Rest-of-the-world simulation for Car2X tests
- Assist systems based on innovative mobile radio technologies (e.g. mobile edge computing)
- Exchange of sensor information between vehicles for cooperative environment perception