Step 5: Learning Agreement (LA)

Recognition of the subjects you take at a foreign university is one of the most important issues when it comes to preparing a study period abroad. THI uses the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) for all courses - a standardised system which applies throughout Europe. Course grades gained in countries outside Europe are also converted into ECTS points. This makes it easy for THI students to gain recognition for the grades they have achieved abroad. Essentially, there is a very wide range of options when it comes to selecting subjects, depending on the language skills required for the country you will be studying in. 

The most important instrument for subject recognition is the Learning Agreement (LA - see download section for templates). It is a contract drawn up between you, THI and the partner university. When fully completed and signed prior to your departure, the LA guarantees recognition of the grades achieved abroad when you return to THI. The procedure is as follows:

  • If you choose a subject which has not been recognised previously, the relevant THI lecturer has to confirm the equivalence of the subject by signing the LA. For this, you have to provide them with a subject description and the valid study and examination regulations of your degree course.
  • An LA for non-European abroad must be signed by the student, then by the departmental coordinator and finally by the institutional coordinator in the IO. The individual subjects must be signed off by the lecturers if they have not already been recognised beforehand.
  • The LA must be signed by the departmental and institutional coordinators at the host university.
  • For stays at an Erasmus partner university, there is a separate procedure with the digital learning agreement (DLA), which is explained on the Erasmus pages.

More details can be found in the download section and in Moodle.

! Note: The LA is only valid with ALL the necessary signatures. Otherwise, the grades you achieved abroad will not be recognised. 

! Note: There is a special LA form for partner universities in the Erasmus+ programme.