Step 3: Applying at the partner university

Once THI has assigned you a place at a partner university, you have to apply to there. The IO will provide you with all the information you need. The application formalities and deadlines may vary enormously among the partner universities.

In the fact sheets, you will usually find a link to the subjects taught in English at the host universities (section "Kurswahl"). Otherwise, you need to search for the offered subjects on their website. Your Learning Agreement (LA) should comprise 20-30 ECTS.

Approved subjects you might wish to take can be found on Moodle under "Liste anerkannter Fächer". If you wish to take subjects which have not yet been acknowledged, a course description in German or English must be submitted to the relevant lecturer who has to sign off your LA. You will find further information about the LA in Step 6: Learning Agreement.

Read through the information provided by the partner university carefully and be sure to observe the application deadline. In case of partner universities outside Europe, you should also take particular note of details regarding fees (potentially payable for fee-waiver places, too!) and health insurance arrangements. Some universities require students to take out health insurance in the host country (esp. the USA and South Africa). In such cases, health insurance taken out in Germany will not be accepted.

The website provides independent information on health insurance coverage during your stay abroad.