Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Brandmeier
Scientific Director CARISSMA – ISAFE, Research Professor for Vehicle Safety and Vehicle Mechatronics
Subject Area: Electrical Engineering and Vehicle Communication
Faculty: Fakultät E
- Safe automated driving
- Integral vehicle safety systems
- Safe perception in all weather conditions (rain, fog, etc.)
- Anticipatory occupant and pedestrian protection systems
- Automated driving and crash tests under reproducible environmental conditions
- Since 07/2020: Scientific Director CARISSMA ISAFE
- Since 2012: Research professorship for vehicle safety and vehicle mechatronics
- 2011 - 2018: Deputy Scientific Director Centre for Applied Research (ZAF)
- 06/2010 - 07/2020: Scientific Director of the Research and Test Centre CARISSMA
- Since 10/2003: Professorship for Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering and Automotive Communication Systems at the Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt - Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- 02/2002 - 09/2003: Siemens VDO: Responsible for algorithm development of safety systems in series production, algorithms for airbag, occupant and pedestrian protection as well as generic projects
- 10/1997 - 01/2002: Head of system development (joint venture with Continental): Responsible for 14 engineers in the areas of function and software development, system definition and validation: organisation of winter and summer tests, customer projects
- 11/1992 - 09/1997: Pre-development at Siemens VDO Automotive, Regensburg; project management in the areas of: Electromechanical brake systems (brake-by-wire) until transfer to series development; vehicle dynamics systems (brakes, steering and chassis); exhaust gas aftertreatment of diesel engines in a consortium of three vehicle manufacturers
- 07/1988 - 09/1992: Doctorate "Wear detection by vibration analysis on the lathe" (method for the assessment of tool wear by structure-borne sound analysis)
- 10/1982 - 05/1988: Academic study of electrical engineering at the University of Karlsruhe
- Schneider, K.; Lugner, R.; Inderst, M., Weigl, T.; Brandmeier, T. (2020): Verification of Crash Severity Estimation Algorithm for Autonomous Driving Using Real Crash Data. 4th International Conference on Vision, Image and Signal Processing.
- Sequeira, G.J.; Surve, M.; Afraj, S.; Brandmeier, T. (2020): A novel concept for validation of pre-crash perception sensor information using contact sensor. 2020 IEEE 23rd International Conference.
- Sequeira, G.J.; Afraj, Shahabaz; Surve, M.; Brandmeier, T. (2020): LiDAR point cloud analysis for vehicle contour estimation using polynomial approximation and curvature breakdown. 2020 IEEE 92nd Vehicular Technology.
- Held, P.; Steinhauser, D.; Koch, A.; Brandmeier, T.; Schwarz, U.T. (2021): A Novel Approach for Model-Based Pedestrian Tracking Using Automotive Radar. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Kamann, A.; Steinhauser, D.; Gruson, F.; Brandmeier, T.; Schwarz, U. T. (2021): “Extended Object Tracking Using Spatially Resolved Micro-Doppler Signatures”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles (vol. 6, no. 3).
Links and references to further information
Awards and Nominations
- Rotary Research Award 2021 of the Rotary Club Ingolstadt
- Nominee for the Hermes Award 2018
- Pro meritis scientiae et litterarum 2012
- Bavarian Innovation Award 2008
- Nominee for the Innovation Award of the German Economy 2008
- Award for CISS as most innovative project at the Airbag trade fair 2004
- 07/2012-07/2013: Reviewer Wissenschaftsrat: Review of the Higher Education System of the federal states Bremen and Saarland
- 07/2012-07/2013: Vice President Research at Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt