International retail companies and brand manufacturers need highly educated leaders endowed with competencies in the fields of strategy, internationalization, marketing conception, retail and consumer management as well as in the digitization in the retail and consumer sector. All this knowledge will be imparted to students registering for this newly introduced master programme, which is further the only study programme of the THI Business School taught in English.
Retail and Consumer Management (M. A.)
Master of Arts
Summer & Winter
In the planning stage
The THI Business School of the Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt (THI) will start the master programme "Retail and Consumer Management" in the winter term 2018/19.
The Retail and Consumer Management programme is a consecutive master’s degree course that builds on a bachelor’s degree, providing the students with necessary conceptual and strategic skills to pursue a career in a variety of exciting retail and brand manufacturing industries - from lifestyle products to electronic consumer goods to automotive sales. The transfer and development of expertise in intercultural competencies in order to meet the considerable and growing demands of the increasingly globalized retail management completes the education.
As the language of instruction is English, the target group are international students with a first degree and practical experience in the field of competence of retail and consumers.
The study programme Retail and Consumer Management is a post-graduate master programme of two full-time study semesters, followed by a third semester proposed for the master’s dissertation. The course combines in-depth academic studies with practical examples.
During the first and second semester, the students will learn the principles of retail operations, market research and environment, retail concepts and value management. Further, a retail and consumer project is completed. The detailed modules are shown in the diagram. See the module handbook (will be given later) for details and descriptions of the individual subjects.
With completion of the master’s thesis, the academic degree Master of Arts is awarded, which enables students for either a qualified job entry in the retail industry or a post-graduate research programme.
First possible Application Period for this programme: 02. May 2018 – 15. July 2018.
Evidence of the following qualifications has to be provided for admission to the master’s degree course in Retail and Consumer Management (abbreviation: RCM):
- An economics or commercial-oriented bachelor’s degree from a German university with at least 210 ECTS credit points or an equivalent qualification from a university in Germany or abroad. A certificate must be submitted as proof. The Examination Commission decides on equivalence.
- Applicants must pass a selection procedure for the master's degree course in Retail and Consumer Management.
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language (level B2 of the Common European Framework).
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (level A1 of the Common European Framework) until the end of the first semester.
- Please note: Your admission cannot be reviewed until all application documents have been submitted. It is not possible to make a definitive statement without looking at the certificates first. We cannot provide advance information regarding your chances of admission by e-mail or telephone.
For details of how to apply, see here.
The following link contains information on the application procedure for applicants from abroad.
NOTE on 180 ECTS:
Can I apply even if I have obtained less than 210 ECTS (normally 180 ECTS) in my previous bachelor’s degree?
It is possible to apply for the RCM master’s degree with less than 210 ECTS; however, proof of compensation of the missing 30 ECTS has to be provided no later than the end of the application period by means of:
- proof of practical experience outside the degree course which corresponds to the practical semester of a bachelor’s degree in economics or a retail-related subject in terms of content and scope,
- proof of practical or theoretical study and examinations taken at a German or foreign university in addition to the student’s first degree which corresponds in content and scope to the demands of a bachelor's degree in economics.
NOTE: Please note that where documents are submitted to show evidence of practical professional experience or either practical or theoretical achievements worth 30 ECTS – in addition to a bachelor’s degree – the documents must clearly indicate that the 30 ECTS were obtain over and above the bachelor's degree programme. Confirmation can be provided by the university showing that the ECTS/internship were not counted towards the first degree. The duration of the practical professional experience gained outside the first degree should be equivalent to 20 weeks of full-time work. Furthermore, the internship reference must be submitted in officially certified form together with the other application documents.
Please see the Study and Examination Regulations for details.
The master's programme enables our graduates to apply for operative and strategic professional and management tasks in the field of retail management, retail and consumer marketing, product management, sales management as well as in particular in the area of digital commerce, digital consumer services, marketing and media agencies, start-ups and retail companies.
LinksLanguage Center THI
Students unions and organisations at THI
THI Marketplace (student housing, student jobs, and more)
Start winter term 2018/19.
First possible Application Period for this programme: 02. May 2018 to 15. July 2018.
Read more about the module handbook.
Study and Examination Regulations
Study and examination regulations (SPO) (only available in German) deal with judicial matters concerning your study course. You find all SPOs on the website of the legal department.
Attachment 2: Procedure for determining course-specific suitability.