Everything you need to know about visas

For countries outside the European Union you will usually require a visa. You should apply as soon as your internship has been confirmed. Please note that we do not guarantee that the information provided below is accurate.

Visas for the USA

According to current regulations, every individual aged between 14 and 59 wishing to apply for a visa for the USA has to go to one of the visa-issuing consulates in Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich in person. Please take this into account when planning your stay in the USA.

Generally speaking, it can be stated that a J-1 visa is required to do an internship in the USA. When you apply for a visa we recommend using the services of a visa agency, e.g.

TravelWorks GmbH

Münsterstr. 111, 48155 Münster

Phone: 02506 / 30 47 0 
Fax: 02506 / 30 47 0

Countries / Duration:
USA, 2 - 18 months

Further information can be found here.

College Council GmbH

Torstr. 178, 10115 Berlin
Phone: 030 / 24 08 69 70
Fax: 030 / 25 76 27 33

Countries / Duration
USA, 2 - 18 months

AYUSA Intrax

Giesebrechtstr. 10, 10629 Berlin 
Phone: 030 - 84 39 39 52

J1-Visum Service AYUSA

Countries / Duration
USA, 3 - 6 months

Visas for Brazil

Brazilian Embassy in Germany

Wallstraße 57
10179 Berlin

Phone: 030 726280
Fax: 030 72628-699


Interns have to apply for a temporary Type 13IV visa (July 2016). You can find further information on the website of the Consulate General in Munich.

Internships longer than 120 days have to be officially supervised by a Brazilian partner university or institution. You have to hand in a confirmation of this supervision when applying for the visa. In order to get this document, you have to be enrolled at a Brazilian university. Please make sure to contact the International Office (eva.ilic@thi.de) for this matter!

Visas for China

Consulate General of the PRC in Munich

Romanstr. 107
80639 München
Phone: 089-1730 1612
Fax: 089-1730 1623

Required documents required/costs:

Information sheet on applying for a visa for the People's Republic of China

Visa application for the People's Republic of China.

Visas for India

Indian Embassy in Germany

Tiergartenstraße 17
10785 Berlin
Phone: 030 2579-5101 / -5103
Fax: 030 2579 2102


Visas for Canada

The Canadian Embassy in Austria is responsible for issuing visas to German citizens!
Canadian Embassy in Austria

Laurenzerberg 2 (3rd floor)
1010 Vienna

Phone: +43-1-531 38-3000Fax: +43-1-531 38-3321

vienn-visa@ international.gc.ca,www.canadainternational.gc.ca

You will find current information on visa requirements for study and internships abroad here.