Applications should always be sent directly to the company. At the same time, you should also apply for a study place at the Technische Hochschule. Ask the company for information on opportunities that are available for dual studies.
International applicants are advised to contact the company in advance to find out what is required in terms of German language knowledge. The majority of companies require applicants to have a very good level of spoken and written German.
Applying to the university
- The application should be sent to the company 6-13 months prior to the start of training.
- The period for sending applications to the THI is 2 May-15 July of the year in which the training commences. This means that you can secure admission to the university a year in advance of taking up your studies.
- Enclose an authenticated copy of your training contract with your application to the THI. When you are admitted to take up studies, you will receive a notice of admission, which you should submit again the following year with your second application.
- A second application is submitted to the university in the period of 2 May-15 July of the year in which studies commence.
Have you been taking part in training for several months and now wish to know whether it is possible to obtain a place on a study course? If so, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application to the THI for studies with intensive practical experience phases (bachelor's programme) should be submitted for the winter semester (starting in October) in the regular application period of 2 May-15 July of the year in which studies commence.
- It is possible to register for dual studies up until the third semester.
- The application to the THI for studies with intensive practical experience phases (master's programme) should be submitted for the winter semester (starting in October) in the regular application period of 2 May-15 July of the year in which studies commence, or for the summer semester (starting in March) in the period of 15 November-15 January of the year in which studies commence.
- If you have already located a partner company before commencing your studies, please also submit your practical training contract.
- You must have registered for dual studies at the latest by the time you register for your master's thesis.
Applying to companies
- Information on cooperating companies for THI dual studies can be found in the database: you can either perform a search by study course or a search by company
- A training contract (compound studies) or placement contract (studies with intensive practical experience) is then concluded between the company and the applicant
This contract should be submitted as part of the application procedure to the THI
Is your company of choice not yet in our database? Show initiative and contact the company yourself to ask about the possibility of a dual study programme. We will support you in organisational matters?
Requirements for dual studies at the THI
In order to be able to apply for a place on the dual bachelor's study programme, you must be in possession of one of the following qualifications: general higher education entrance qualification, subject-specific entrance qualification, advanced technical college certificate or master craftsman examination certificate (including vocational training certification equivalent to the master craftsman examination certificate).
In order to be able to apply for a place on the dual master's study programme, you must be in possession of one of the following qualifications: successfully completed subject-specific diploma or bachelor's study programme, successfully completed aptitude testing for the desired master's programme, and, where appropriate, proof of required language knowledge.
Do your strengths include personal initiative, determination and good organisational ability? A dual course of study is particularly suitable for prospective students with great commitment and above average performance motivation, who wish to obtain their first experience of working in a company alongside their studies. You must have an aptitude for complex tasks and taking responsibility. Dual studies demand discipline and time management, due to the combination of an extensive practical component with university studies. Once you have obtained your qualification, however, companies generally offer excellent employment prospects.
Are you already enrolled at THI?
You can even change to a dual study programme after you have started studying. If you are gaining regular practical experience in a company, you may be able to register for a dual study course. Contact us at email@example.com