Dual studies at the Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt combine theory with practice. There are two diffenent models of dual bachelor programmes: compound studies (combination of vocational training and studies) or studies with an additional practical element (combination of practical experience and studies). After successful completion of your bachelor programme, you furthermore have the possibility to do a dual master programme at THI!
Dual study models at the THI
Compound studies (Bachelor) = vocational training + studies, approximately 4.5 years
The degree programme is combined with training in a recognised occupation requiring formal training. Study phases and vocational training are linked in terms of time and content.
The programme begins with a practical phase of up to 13 months, in which candidates complete a large portion of their professional training. They are able to experience several departments within their partner company. They can also attend the vocational school together with the regular trainees.
After the first year in the company, the studies at the university begin. From then on, candidates will alternate between university and practical phases. Those in possession of a university entrance qualification (including subject-specific qualifications) are entitled but not obliged to attend the vocational school. After the first year, the majority of candidates complete the course content in self-study.
The chamber examination (e.g. IHK or HWK) is generally taken in the practical semester in the third year. The timing of the final vocational examination varies according to the profession in question. Further practical units in the company may be completed even after the final vocational examination. The dual studies end with the bachelor's thesis, written in the company.
Application process for compound studies:
- Prospective students select a suitable course of studies which they wish to pursue in conjunction with vocational training. Check our database for an overview of all compound study courses available (Advice: The German word for compound studies is "Verbundstudium").
- Candidates should apply early (6-15 months before the start of training) for a training place at a company that cooperates with the THI in the desired degree programme.
- Companies conclude a training contract and a dual contract with their candidates. At the same time, prospective students apply for a study place at the THI (the application period for the winter semester 2016/17 is 2 May-15 July 2016). Candidates already in possession of a training contract should submit this with their application.
Studies with an additional practical element (Bachelor/Master) = practical experience + studies, approximately 3.5 / 1.5 years
In studies with an additional practical element, students do not take part in professional training but instead obtain significantly more practical experience in a company compared with those in regular studies. This is closely synchronised with the teaching at the THI. The length of the programme is 3.5 years for a Bachelor degree and 1,5 years for a Master degree.
University phases alternate with practical phases. Students complete their practical phases in the lecture-free periods, in the practical semester, and while writing their bachelor's thesis in the company. Students familiarise themselves extensively with the company and are involved in a number of different projects.
The dual studies end with the bachelor's/ master's thesis, written in the company.
Application process for studies with an additional practical element:
- Prospective students select their desired course of study from those available with an additional practical element. An overview of our study courses can be found in our database. Advice: The German name for this model is "Studium mit vertiefter Praxis".
- Prospective students apply to their chosen company for a placement in the dual study programme. Possible cooperating firms can be found in our database.
- The company concludes a dual contract for the dual study programme. At the same time, prospective students apply for a study place at the THI within the regular application period (the application period for the winter semester is 2 May to 15 July. Candidates already in possession of a placement contract should submit it with their application.