Practical Information for all international students

There might come a time, when you´ll need a doctor, a dentist and/or a chemist. You can only benefit from the health services, if you have valid health insurance.
There is a wide range of GPs (Allgemeinarzt) and dentists (Zahnarzt) available. If you need a specialist, your GP will refer you to one. Please note, you must always bring your health insurance card.
For real emergencies you should go to the emergency room of one of the local hospitals (Krankenhaus).
If you need an ambulance, call 112. This number is valid for all EU-countries.
Chemists (Apotheken) don´t usually have unlimited opening hours, but they take it in turns to open at night. Here you can find out which chemists are open tonight.


Are you unsure if you need a visa to enter Germany? The Federal Foreign Office has summarized all information on visa requirements and the application process.

Important: Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa. This cannot be changed to a visa for study purposes after your entry.

Besides, THI is not in the position to influence the duration of your visa application process. Please contact the German diplomatic mission in your home country in case of any questions.


Application for residence permit

Students from non-EU countries who are allowed to enter the Federal Republic of Germany without a visa (e.g. citizens of Brazil or the Republic of Korea) have to apply for residence permit 3 months after having entered the country at the latest. Students who entered the Federal Republic of Germany with a visa must hand in the application for residence permit before their visa expires.

This video tutorial will guide you through the application for residence permit.


Health Insurance:

In order to be allowed to enrol at a German university, you are obliged to have a valid statutory health insurance.

Students from EU-countries who have a European Health Insurance Card and students from non-EU countries who have bought health insurance for Germany in their home country need to get their insurance checked by a German health insurance company. At best, you will receive a certificate confirming the exemption from health insurance which you can use for registration at THI.

If you have no or insufficient health insurance, you need to obtain health insurance from a health insurance company in Germany. You are free to choose your health insurance company, please find below some examples. More information about the insurance can be obtained directly from the insurance company.



  • AOK Ingolstadt, Harderstraße 43, 85049 Ingolstadt
  • Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) Ingolstadt, Nördliche Rindstraße 19, 85057 Ingolstadt
  • DAK-Gesundheit, Donaustraße 6, 85049 Ingolstadt
  • Barmer GEK, Ludwigstraße 30, 85049 Ingolstadt

Here you can find further information about the German health insurance system.


Other Insurances:

Here you can find all kinds of insurances (please scroll down for English).


In Ingolstadt, apartments and rooms in shared flats are rare these days. Searching for an appropriate accommodation might therefore take a couple of months. Please start looking for a place to live as early as possible.

Here you can find an overview of the residence halls located in Ingolstadt. We strongly recommend searching for accommodation on the private housing market.

Finally, here you can find general information about the costs of living in Germany. For Master students, the Service Center Study Affairs provides an overview of estimated costs for a whole study program.

You are required to register yourself as a citizen of Ingolstadt at the registry office as soon as you arrive and have permanent accommodation. This is one of the requirements you have to fulfil in order to open a bank account and to get a residence permit for your stay in Germany. More information (in German) can be found on the website of the "Bürgeramt Ingolstadt".

Address & Office Hours

Monday and Tuesday:
8:00 - 16:00 
Wednesday and Friday:
8:00 - 12:30 
8:00 - 17:30

Students from EU countries may open a regular bank account at any bank of their choice. You need your passport, confirmation of registration at the city of Ingolstadt and your confirmation of enrollment. Usually, the latter can be handed in later.

Students from non-EU countries need to provide proof of financial means (861 € per month) for their stay in Germany. This proof has to be handed in when applying for a visa and when applying for residence permit. You may use the following documents:

Important: If your scholarship does not cover 861 € per month, the difference has to be deposited on a blocked account as well.

A blocked account has to be activated after your arrival in Germany. A few days later, you will receive a debit card, PIN and information on online banking via post.

Deutsche Bank provides plenty of information on blocked accounts on their website.

Address & Office Hours

Deutsche Bank, Ludwigstraße 24, 85049 Ingolstadt

9.00-12.30 & 13.30-16.30
9.00-12.30 & 13.30-17.30

...with the local busses

Ingolstadt has an excellent public transport system. As a student, you are eligible to apply for a student ticket which will be valid for 6 months or 1 year (about 17 €/months).

You can pick the document up at the INVG Customer Center in Mauthstraße 4, 85049 Ingolstadt.

The completed form has to be stamped by the Service Center Study Affairs and to be handed in at INVG afterwards. The Service Center for Study Affairs is available at the ServicePoint at following times:

During the semester:
Monday-Friday 10.00-14.00
Semester break:
Monday-Friday 10.00-12.00

…by bike

It is easy to get around by bike as well. You can buy second-hand bikes in a good condition at one of the bike flea markets:

Fahrradzentrum Willner, Friedrichshofener Straße 1e, 85049 Ingolstadt, Termine Fahrradflohmarkt

Radhaus, Bei der Arena7, 85049 Ingolstadt, Termine Fahrradflohmarkt

The Service Center Study Affairs has published all important semester dates. Please be aware that the given deadlines for exam registration and re-registration are not valid for exchange students. They will receive further information from the International Office during orientation.

The Service Center Study Affairs, Department Financial Assistance, gives advice on possibilities to finance your studies and provides information on various scholarships for which all degree-seeking THI students can apply.

Once a year, the International Office awards scholarships to international degree-seeking students. Please check the announcements in moodle.

The DAAD offers various scholarships for international students, too. Alumni of German schools abroad further have the possibility to apply for a "BayBIDS-Motivationsstipendium".

The student club N.I.C.E. was founded in 2015 and supports international students to integrate at THI and the region of Ingolstadt. N.I.C.E. and the THI International Office work together closely. Feel free to contact N.I.C.E. and join the community. N.I.C.E. offers a variety of activities which really could be benefical for you: 

Students' Clubs

Would you like to join exciting projects or to engage in social groups next to your studies? Here you can find an overview of our students´activities.



In cooperation with KU Eichstätt-Ingolstadt and some regional sports clubs, THI offers a broad sports programme to their students.


Workshops, Excursions and Events

The International Office organizes trips to neighbouring cities like Munich, Regensburg and Nuremberg as well as several intercultural events throughout the semester. Besides, the international degree-seeking students get the chance to participate in excursions to various companies in the region and in workshops related to study organization or the preparation for an application at German companies. Free spots will be available for exchange students. The respective programme is published at the beginning of each semester. Registration for the workshops and excursions is possible via moodle.

The Career Service offers workshops related to applications and several IT-tools. If your German language skills are good enough, you may register for these workshops here.

Besides, THI hosts various events throughout the year. They are published in the event calendar.


Please also have a look at our leaflet "Future in Motion: Information for International Students".

Office hours

You can find us near the main entrance (A006): Service Centre Study Affairs, Career Service & Student Counselling and International Office.

The International Office is available at the ServicePoint at the following times:

  • Mon to Wed: 11.00 am - 1 pm

Attention: Due to the coronavirus pandemic the Servicepoint is closed until further notice!

Personal appointments can be made via moodle.